Friday, January 9, 2015

So I have a problem and it's name is MAGGIE STIEFVATER

As usual, December is a super busy time of year for me. It's my mom's birthday, my birthday, and, of course, Christmas. But this year, despite all the craziness the holidays bring, everything had to come to a screeching halt when I discovered the wonderful freaking fantastic glory that is...



I spent a good portion of my December not thinking about what I'd get people for Christmas but rather sitting in my warm fluffy bed reading the Raven Boys whenever I could.

All I knew going into starting The Raven Boys, was that it was about a group of four boys who were best friends and went to a prep school and supernatural somethings were involved somehow. That said, I thought it was going to be something like the movie, The Covenant. I'm really glad it wasn't though because that wasn't really a very good movie though I did like it for what it was. Initially, I wanted to read it because I read so few things about guy main characters that I figured this would be a nice change of pace.

To be honest, the reading it was slow going at first. I couldn't really get a feel for what was actually happening at the start of Raven Boys because the POV changed almost every chapter. Still, how can I DNF a book when the opening line is as amazing as this one:


As far as opening lines of books go, this one is rather high on my favorites list. By the way, can we talk for a second about the chapter designs? Aesthetically, I think I love them more than one normally should. I attribute this strange love to my aforementioned Maggie Stiefvater obsession problem - one which I'm totally okay with. 

Reasons Why Maggie Stiefvater is Amazing
A list of flails in no particular because while I enjoy lists, list-y items don't come to me in orderly fashions.

1. The way she describes things:
She recognized the strange happiness that came from loving something without knowing why you did, happiness that was sometimes so big it felt like sadness. It was the way she felt when she looked at the stars.
- Blue, Raven Boys, pg 223
That's only one example. I'd quote each book if I could but that would be difficult. That is just such a beautifully written description of pure happiness and it's so true. 

2. She has a thing with eyebrows. I've never read a book where an author describes characters' eyebrows as if they were characters themselves. And she does this a lot not just once or twice. But then again, eyebrows are fairly expressive aren't they?
- Raven Boys, pg 168

3. She has an ethical understanding of helicopters:
- Adam and Blue, Raven Boys, pg 189
This is one of many hilariously perfect dialogues between characters that Ms. Stiefvater has created. Maura and Blue also have a lot of good ones but this one is one of my favorites. 

4. And an understanding of the importance of pie:
- Persephone and Adam, Dream Thieves, pg 350
Professor Lupin has his chocolate and Persephone has her pie. Life changing moments require the therapeutic effects of dessert items. 

5. She knows the difference between want and need and how they're sometimes the same thing. (Subsequently, also her interesting use of the word "eaten.")
     What do you want, Adam? What do you need, Adam? Want and need were words that got eaten smaller and smaller: freedom, autonomy, a perennial bank account, a stainless steel condo in a dustless city, a cell phone, a bed, to kiss Blue just once, a blisterless heel, bacon for breakfast, to hold Blue's hand, one hour of sleep, toilet paper, deodorant, a soda, a minute to close his eyes.
     What do you want, Adam?
     To feel awake when my eyes are open.
- Dream Thieves, pg 58

There are so many more reasons why Maggie Stiefvater is amazing. Let's talk for a moment about her characters. Now, I've only read what's published in The Raven Boys Cycle so far but she writes such diverse characters. I mean, each one of them, whether they're main characters or minor, is fully developed and they each have such distinct personalities that there's no way that you can get them mixed up. And I love them all so much!!! I did get slightly confused about just how many people were living in 300 Fox Way but then, so did Gansey at one point so I don't feel so bad about it. 

Speaking of Gansey, I agree with Blue; I think I'm in love with him. At first, I was really Team Adam. I have a bit of a soft spot for characters like Adam though. I just want all the nice things for him. Also, Adam really needs a hug. So does Ronan sometimes, but Ronan has Matthew so he's okay. Actually, Noah does too but for different reasons and I really hope he gets fixed in the next book. (Can I just Mary Poppins my way into the books to give all the boys hugs? That should be allowed.) But Gansey... he has this amazing sense of wonderment about him but he's totally grounded and logical at the same time. He's also intense, dedicated, loyal, fierce, and caring even if he wears Top-Siders. (I had to look up what Top-Siders were. I had a pretty good guess but I have such a woeful knowledge of fashion that I wasn't sure.) Though Gansey isn't allowed to die. He's just not, like just - no. Noah isn't allowed either. He's too cute to stay dead. He needs to stay alive to play with Blue's hair and watch all the snow globe glitter and throw things out windows with Ronan.

I won't go into how much I love Blue. She's like a little ball of awesome dressed in ripped and stitched back together clothes. I love her and I really, really, need the next book. All I can find is that it comes out this year. I definitely cannot wait. In the mean time, even though I ju5st got like 25 books in December, I have bought myself The Scorpio Trials to fill all my Maggie Steifvater needs for the time being.

- Dream Thieves, pg 11


 


6 comments:

  1. Ok so here's the deal... I bought all the published books in The Raven Trilogy, but I'm waiting for the right chance to read them. I'm glad it didn't take you long to read them which gives me hope so that I won't take forever to read them either. I'm so excited to read them now though!! I was never in "love" with Maggie's The Wolves of Mercy Falls series, and so I didn't want to pick up The Raven Boys at first.

    Thanks for the reassurance. :D

    Alex @ The Book's Buzz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read them yet, but I heard The Wolves of Mercy Falls isn't as good as the rest of her books. I've heard great things about The Scorpio Races though and you just HAVE to the Raven Boys!! It's great, I promise.

      By the way, I took you up on your suggestion to start with Throne of Glass and I'm loving it! =D

      Delete
  2. I loved Raven Boys!! I love the relationships and the boys and the weirdness of the story and the beautiful and unique writing and the awesome plot and everything about this. Lovely post <33

    Rachel @ A Perfection Called Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES!!! Everything about these books was just brilliant!

      Thanks for stopping by! =)

      Delete
  3. THIS POST MAKES ME SO SO HAPPY. I cannot even count the amount of posts I write just flailing about how much I love Maggie Stiefvater's books. xD I've read them ALL. Omg, I know, right?! Just a little obsessed. xD I love her style. I adore her characters.
    I love The Raven Boys and I can't even pick a favourite. I AM IN LOVE WITH ALL 4 RAVEN BOYS AND BLUE IS JUST THE MOST BEST HEROINE I'VE READ IN A LONG TIME. *continues flailing forever*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh I thought I replied to your comment so much sooner! Ahh!! I suck sometimes - Sorry!! D=

      YAY!!! That's because Maggie Stiefvater is freaking AMAZING!! I've definitely joined in on your obsession with her. xD I still haven't read The Scorpion Races but it's next on my agenda after I marathon everything Throne of Glass related (also a new obsession of mine).

      I KNOW!! I can't pick a favorite Raven Boy either - they're all so amazing in their own way! And I love how Maggie wrote them. They don't blend together like characters who are that close to each other sometimes do. They each so different. I LOVE IT!! And I just can't with Blue's awesomeness. I was eating yogurt the other day and just starting laughing because I thought of Blue =P
      *joins in on your forever flailing*

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...