Thursday, May 22, 2014

Top Ten Tuesday #3: Top Ten Books About Friendship

NOTE: Clearly I had a brain spasm and I hit save instead of publish after I wrote this on Tuesday. Therefore, I guess this is a Top Ten Thursday this week. Oops.


 
Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/meme created by The Broke and the Bookish.

 
Top Ten Books About Friendship
 

1. Harry Potter by J. K. Rowling
 
2. The Lord of the Rings by J. R. R. Tolkien
 
3. Percy Jackson by Rick Riordan
 http://viria.tumblr.com/
(Image by Viria)
 
These first three barely need explanation. There's a lot of themes in all of these books but without the friendships that are at the heart of them, they wouldn't be the same: Harry, Ron, and Hermione. Luna's ceiling. Sam and Frodo. Gimli, Legolas, and Aragorn. Percy, Annabeth, Grover then all of the seven in the Heroes of Olympus.
 
4. The Outsiders by S. E. Hinton - I have loved this book since I first read it when I was 10. Coming-of-age, friends, "Stay gold, Ponyboy" - all the ingredients for a perfect, timeless story of lasting friendship.  
 
5. Breadcrumbs by Anne Ursu - Even though Hazel and Jack's friendship doesn't end the way Hazel hoped, she was willing to go to the ends of the world to get him back.
 
6. Alanna the First Adventure by Tamora Pierce - All of Tamora Pierce's books are technically about friendship but I think Alanna: The First Adventure ranks highest in the friendship category. There's no stronger friendship than the one that develops between 'Alan', Jon, Gary, and Raoul.
 
7. Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell - I'm currently reading this book and I'm only halfway through. Maybe I sort of just see a lot of my socially-awkward self in Cath but making friends is hard sometimes especially when you're thrust into a new place like college where you know no one. But so far, Cath has managed a pretty good friendship going with Reagan even though her friendship with Wren seems to be fading.
 
8. The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky - The ultimate book of friendship, finding freedom in friends, and being infinite.
 
9. The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein - The most classic of classic children's books on friendship.
 
10. Winnie the Pooh by A. A. Milne - “If you live to be a hundred, I want to live to be a hundred minus one day so I never have to live without you.” 
 
 
Did any of these books make your list? What are your favorite books on friendship?



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...